The new bridge will be a five-span concrete bridge, approximately 475 feet long and 40.5 feet wide, with two full traffic lanes. For those on foot, the bridge includes a pedestrian sidewalk and crosswalk for a looping connection with the adjacent trestle bridge, two belvederes for viewing Putah Creek and lighting.
A temporary bridge will be constructed to carry traffic across the Putah Creek until the new bridge is completed in the spring of 2016.
"This new bridge is being built on the foundation of collaboration," said Solano County Supervisor Linda Seifert, chair of the Board of Supervisors.
The inception of the replacement project began in 1981 when the California Department of Transportation recommended the bridge be replaced, as it was beyond reasonable rehabilitation. In 2000, Solano County and the City of Winters entered into a Memorandum of Understanding to jointly work toward replacing the bridge. This included securing federal funding, completing the environmental work, designing the bridge and selecting a contractor.
A typical bridge replacement project usually involves work from at least a half dozen agencies. However, a bridge of this scale that crosses multiple jurisdictions doubled that coordination effort. In addition, to the Solano County and the City of Winters focusing on the project delivery, there were two Caltrans districts, the Federal Highway Administration, and state and federal fish and wildlife agencies, three water agencies, and the Army Corps of Engineers. The project also includes an agreement with the California Office of Historic Preservation to replace the bridge with similar arched architecture.
The $15.3 million construction phase of the project is funded with Highway Bridge Program funds from the Federal Highway Administration. The bridge will be built by Disney Construction.
When the Winters Bridge was constructed in 1907, it was the longest bridge of its kind west of the Mississippi River. The bridge was also one of the earliest examples of reinforced concrete in the region, and its 123-foot long spans were the longest concrete arch spans in California.